Wednesday, December 30, 2009


Airplane phobia? Not anymore…

Airplane phobia? Not anymore…
It all started when I found myself in a hydroplane for a domestic flight. There is no need to get into details, but, this experience initiated my airplane phobia and, mind you, I have been travelling already for years before. In reality, though, this phobia was born some time ago, but, it emerged with this hydroplane flight.

In this article, I will recount all my efforts in order to break free from these chains – as they were real chains for me - since my dream is to make a world-around tour (unfortunately I don’t have a phobia of taxis, so, that I could bypass it, right?)


Before cutting to the chase, let me tell you about a few things that I realized and that enhanced some rational thinking:
Have you ever thought how much input we get from films regarding airplane crashes? I have heard of several people who have developed an airplane phobia after some event, and especially September 11. I don’t think it’s accidental…
The age in which people seem to develop some sort of neurosis is around their 30s.
The deepest fear hidden behind this neurosis is the fear of death and all traumatic experiences deriving from it. Try to remember and reflect on the time that you acquired this phobia (if you didn’t have it for life, it will be clearer). Break-ups/separations, involuntary moving out, and sentimental problems are considered as traumatic experiences since they all involve the fear of death.


All scientific information that I gathered (regarding air pockets or turbulence or confined space, for instance) helped my mind comprehend, but, didn’t in any way ease off the automatic reactions of my body, like sweating, frequent urination or panic attacks.  I must tell you that I have even visited the cockpit and asked the pilots to elaborate on the topic, so that I could resolve my fear scientifically and help my mind “understand” that I am safe.
All in vain though…


Coping with this phobia
Stop using airplanes was not an option in any case; it needs persistence (even though there were times that I wanted to hurl myself out of the plane before take-off)


I applied the EFT method

Alcohol – 1 glass keeps you calm and makes you sleepy as, during a flight, alcohol dosage doubles in the blood due to atmospheric pressure.


No more tranquilizers (as I was so stressed out, they wouldn’t work on the spot, but, afterwards impeding my mobility). Also, I don’t want to consume chemical substances, unless there is no other way to resolve an issue.


Crystals, like black pearl for panic attacks, malachite for fears, turquoise as an amulet, sunstone as an antidepressant, blue chalcedony as a tranquillizer. I always have them with me and there is no problem at airport control (for those wondering).

Rescue Remedy, Mimulus for particular phobias and panic attacks before and during a trip. These are Bach flower remedies that are of great help.

During the trip, I smell a scented hankie – it really helps.

I am always thinking of my end destination and what awaits me there and I am overwhelmed with joy and gratitude. I try not to confine myself on that momentary feeling that empowers my stress and I definitely drive off any pessimistic thoughts.


Observe yourself and smile with your vulnerability without being judgmental. It is normal to feel this way while being so high up in the sky. Show compassion and smile honestly to yourself about the fear being experienced. Step out of yourself and observe it. It is all in your head; you are not in danger.


Movies, games and music are particularly helpful as they keep your mind busy. Reading helps as well, but, to a smaller extent, as when someone experiences fear, then, loses his/her train of thoughts. It has happened to me too: reading the same lines for 15 minutes without understanding a thing.


Find out beforehand in which parts of the trip there is usually turbulence (when you travel a lot, you get to know these things), so that you can be somehow psychologically prepared.

Lean forward or “dance” on your seat when there is turbulence; this way you won’t feel that your centre of balance has changed dramatically.
  
Remember: the longer your trip, the higher up your airplane flies, the less turbulence you will encounter.

Positive statements are of great help, like, “ I am safe”, “How nice it is to reach your destination so fast” etc

I don’t discuss my fear or others’ fear, as this energy inevitably drags you down. If I want to, I can get into some other discussion if I happen to find an interesting interlocutor.

 In case of turbulence, I look at the airhostesses; they know…


And some more profound help:
Trust; it is all part of the process of trusting the flow of the day, our Greater Divine plan and in general our self and others.

Accept the tension nestling in your body due to the fear of death and start facing it gradually on your everyday life. Ask for help! Death is the only certainty in our life (I wrote this for those looking for “certainties”) and is directly related to our survival instinct.  
( Check out the article: “Death; opening a great window of consciousness in life” http://humanstasis.blogspot.gr/2012/08/blog-post.html)


Acceptance; it made a huge difference to me. I started applying the different faces of acceptance in my everyday life and so I was ready when I got into that plane, accepting anything that was occurring. I was flowing within me.

Last but not least, meditation. It really helps practicing breathing exercises and the more acquainted one is with that in everyday life, the deeper one can go, regardless of what’s happening out there. Through meditation, apart from entering a personal world, hormones of happiness and deep calmness are excreted which constitute the best antidote for the stress hormones released through our body automatically that particular moment.

Finally, I will refer to Reiki since practicing it over your body, can always relax you. If you don’t know how to do it yourself, ask someone who is on an advanced level, to send Reiki to your flight.


I must admit that I still meditate or drink Bach flower remedies, but, essential help came gradually from resolving the fear of death and accepting situations. It has facilitated my flow in everyday life; and for this, I am grateful…


I wish to all of you “good luck”; by resolving this, you have made a step forward in self-knowledge and confrontation of your fears. Blessings!

1 comment:

  1. I suffer from this affliction too and it came to me, after many fine flying trips, when I had a couple of unpleasant flights. Again when I was in my 30's too!

    I find some slow breathing exercises (meditation) which I do on the plane whilst we are waiting for the plane to take off helps. I try to carry them through on take-off (the worst part for me and also the time when most plane accidents happen) and it 'pulls' me through! Also distracting myself with activities does wonders too as you say!

    I'd love to get some Bach Rescue Remedy but not easily available in this part of the world. I used it many times before in stressful situations and found it works wonders.

    Thanks for the other tips which I'll try too next time I fly (although try to find alternatives now due to the enormous pollution caused by flying!).

    Stuey

    ReplyDelete